Thursday, August 15, 2013

One week check point

Hello again you wonderful peeps!
Sorry I've kept a bit to myself lately, started university on Monday and since then been way too tired to even think about getting anything written down here that would make any sense :) But now, I'll let you know about my first week in Santiago.

Still can't believe it's only been a week, I feel so at home over here that it feels unbelievable! Now that I know how the metro works and am not afraid to take it anymore, know the language already so much better than I did a week ago when I arrived, I feel that I have so much to do here, so many things to see and now finally I can do it because I have at least some sort of means of communication. I can't believe how at home I feel, it's an unbelievable feeling because for the first time in my life I feel like I belong. You guys know that I like Finland, but for some reason, not standing out as the 'latina' one feels so damn good. Having people around me that look like me for the first time in my life brings me such a feeling of belonging, that is hard to explain in words. But I have that feeling now. I feel like I belong - like I'm a part of something great and that I'm the majority for once. It feels good, believe me or not, contrary to what a lot of people want to achieve (standing out), being a part of a crowd where no one looks at you for being a bit different but accepts the fact that "hey, you're latina like I am", is an unbelievable feeling to have for the first time.

Another reason why I'm having a hard time believing that it's only been a week since I arrived is that thanks to this amazing family, I have had the opportunity to experience a lot already! And not this touristy stuff that you might think, but what I think is even better: normal things that local families do. Going to the market buying vegetables, going to the supermarket, having a really big family dinner. The are all things that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience if this family wouldn't have taken me in to stay with them. I like seeing how the normal, local family lives and the errands they run and being a part of it. It's very similar to how people everywhere live, but being here and getting the opportunity to see how a Chilean family functions is just as valuable to me than going around sight-seeing.  I'll get a chance to do that later but right now I appreciate getting to know the customs and habits of locals, just living their lives.

So.... School.... haha it's been a rollercoaster up until now. The campus area is great, our class mates are hilarious and we have this amazing teacher in one class who reminds me so much of the comedian Gabriel Iglesias that it's hard not to laugh before he's even started his lectures. He's amazing! :) Right now I'm taking Tourism Development, Chilean Attractions and Services, Philosophical Anthropology ( WHICH I ABSOLUTELY LOVE!!!), Guiding and Customer Service, World Heritage and Destination and to top it all off: Advanced English. Most of the courses I have liked so far, but this advanced English... No offence to anyone but I'd much rather be learning how to say 'Hello. Who are you? My name is Maria' in Portuguese, not in English. I like the teacher and it's good fun, but I hink I could use my time better learning a new language rather than sitting in class learning to pronounce BOOT, SHOE, TREE.... We'll see, I think Jenni is even more annoyed by this class than I am, but I don't really mind in the sense that I get to help my classmates when they are having a hard time, and it's great, not just because I can help, but it's also creating a stronger bond between us, when we can ask each other for support and be there to support one another.

I only have classes on four days; Monday through Thursday, which is awesome, and, to top it all off, I am in the afternoon classes, which means that the earliest my classes start is 1PM. The only downside to this is that we only get out at 6PM, but I'd much rather take the not SO crowded metros in the evening than the oh so very crowded metros in the early  morning. It's good. And it's been a blessing now during the first week because we have had time to run errands with Jenni before class, looking at apartments and residences, and DIN DIN DIIII!!!! yesterday..... we got our Chilean ID numbers!!! so now we're officially here in the Chilean system also, feels sooooooo goood! Finally!

Haha have to tell you a funny thing we did yesterday woth a few people from the class. This is another thing where we could distinctively see the difference between the Latin and Finnish cultures. It's great :) So we ended class early and had some time to kill. Jenni and I were trying to think of smething to do, when all of a sudden our classmates come up to us and say come with us, were going to the bar next to the school, we go there all the time! So, being polite and all, we though we have to go. No, just kidding, of course we went with delight! :P So there we were sitting, drinking our drinks (Terremotos [eathquake]), having fun and returning to school, watching classmates try to sit through English class has never been so funny :D Jenni and I of course only had one, but the rest, they were enjoying themselves ;)
So to sum it up, I like our University, like the teachers, our classmates are a lot of fun and can't wait to go back on Monday.

Before I go downstairs, ( I don't know what's up with my writing now, can't seem to get anything god written down...) I have to tell you about another very Chilean experience I had this morning at 6am. I woke up to my bed shaking and was petrified that it was a ghost or something! When I woke up properly, I saw my phone's light go on and saw a message from Jenni: "Just woke up because of my bed shaking due to the earthquake!" So, coming to my senses, I realized that I had experienced my first earthquake! Yikes! Thank goodness it was only a very small and short one, but scared the hell out of me, waking up to that from a very deep sleep. But, I guess there'll be many more of them, now I at least know how one feels like so I don't lose my mind thinking that ghosts are following me... :)

Have to get some coffee, maybe that'd make my writing better. I'll be back, don't you worry :P Ahahahaha! And let you know more about my life now that I'm studying and settling into the rythm of this life. Just want you to know that I absolutely love it here because I have people around me that care about me, who are doing everything in their power to make me feel like home (and succeeding in it very well) and I have this feeling of belonging that I've never had before. It's a weird feeling for me, but such a great one.

Catch up later,
love you guys,
Take care,
yours,
Maria

1 comment:

  1. Sooooooooooo happpyyyy for youu!!!! It's a wonderful feeling to see you so grounded there. Amazing, I agree but not surprised.

    ReplyDelete