Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Good God.. Now I’m here. I’m sitting on my bed in the house where I’ll be staying for, well until I find an apartment of my own, looking around but still clearly not capable of grasping the reality of the situation I got myself into.

The amount of confusion rushing through my head is unbelievable. On the flight over I still couldn’t believe where I was going, but as the landing started to approach, I happened to glance at my neighbor’s screen and saw the outline of South America. The feeling that rose in me can’t be described by words because the moment I realized I was about to land in South America just didn’t seem real. It still doesn’t. And now I’m actually here.

Everything seems so normal. I arrived at the airport and Sra. and Sr. Rodriguez were there to greet me (known from now on as Angela and Freddy :P). I jumped into their car still not knowing where I was (don’t do this if you don’t have an agreed pick up appointment, just by the way). We started our journey through Santiago and finally arrived at their house. I was showed to my room which is more a corner of their upstairs living room, taken down to breakfast while I still probably looked like a confused chipmunk. I came into a normal family with a mom, dad, two daughters and a grandma cuter than a puppy, and everything just seems so normal. It throws me off. Of course my chipmunk like activity had continued throughout the morning because hell, I still don’t understand that I’m actually in Chile.

And why am I acting like a chipmunk? The sole reason for my utterly confused look is that most of the time I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. I understand Spanish pretty well and can speak it to an extent, but the way these Latinos speak, their pace – very fast - , and their own distinctive dialect has left me in the dark. I just stand around looking like a fool, asking if I can help but told to always just take it easy and relax. Haha have to add here that you’ll never guess what’s playing downstairs? ABBA! I was told that I’d feel more Finnish here than I had ever in my life before and I think it might be very true. The part of me that is missing is accentuated when I hear, smell or see something relating to Finland. ‘Chiquitita, tell me what’s wrooooooooooooooooooong’?
The answer: nothing’s wrong. Just confusing. These people don’t speak a word of English and after leaving Finland and staying with my mom in the States, being all of a sudden thrown into a world where I do nothing with my English and have to speak and understand Spanish can be very unsettling. Obviously I’m not the most secure person in the world and having to all of a sudden mutter this and that in Spanish to native speakers is terrifying. Especially after a long journey when the simplest words seem to escape my mind. Now as I’m writing this in English, I’m actually quite scared of going downstairs again because I know I’ll have to switch into Spanish again and when I’m this tired it’s not something I look forward to right now especially when I can’t help things with English. And holy craaaap it’s cold inside! I feel like my toes and nose will fall off any minute.

But anyway, my mom gave me a very good piece of advice at the airport: she told me that I will get so frustrated with this language issue every now and then but as time goes by and I learn to communicate with the locals it will get easier. And as sad and pathetic as this sounds, I won’t be surprised if I want to go back home after a few days struggle with communication. But even though I am so very grateful to these people for taking me in, I think it will also get a little easier when I’m living on my own and don’t have to constantly have my chipmunk face on and asking ‘scuuusmiiiii?’. It doesn’t feel good to me and I don’t know, maybe they don’t appreciate it either so much, that someone doesn’t speak their language. But Angela and Freddy are awesome though, they have patience with me. Just wish I had it with myself too. Going to cut me some slack now though – only been here for three hours. It’ll pick up and I can finally decrease my chipmunkness. Now need to go ounder the covers because I’m literally shaking of the cold.. hrrrr…
Later again guys!
Love, yours,
Maria



4 comments:

  1. There are some stuff I can relate to, like the blending in with the locals and such. Your writing is really good and it's gonna be interesting to hear more about what's it like in Chile. :D I think, in a way, you're lucky that your host family doesn't speak English, 'cause then you'll learn the dialect faster.
    -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyyy!!! yeah, it's good that they dont speak English in a way but getting through this first day was tough :D haha but hopefully I'll pick it up! :)
    yeah, you can relate to it very well I think :) it's a good feeling for a change :P hahaha thanks! I'll keep you guys posted! :)
    -M-

    ReplyDelete
  3. hyvä että pääsit perille ja olet turvassa :D vitsi, mua alkoi pelottaa kamalasti mitä mun ranskanpuhumisesta tulee, ja toisaalta taas, että puhuuko kaikki mulle sitten englantia, koska sekin olisi ihan tyhmää :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha joo täällä ollaan! :) tää oli yllättävän shokeeraavaa ku kukaan ei puhu englantii eli en voi ees koittaa selittää mitä tarkotan käyttämäl enkkuu apuna ja se turhauttaa.. Toisaalt on kyl kans hyvä et nää puhuu vaa espanjaa koska kuuntelemalhan sitä oppii, siin vaa menee oma aikansa ja turhautuminen on molemminpuoleista aina välillä xD
      Sä nyt oot opetellu jo nii hyvin et kyl mä uskon et prjäät loistavasti! Sit vaa niinku äiti sano mulle: puhu paljon, lujaa ja väärin ni porukka ymmärtää ettei oo sun äidinkieli xD vaikeint on eri alueiden aksentit ja niihin sisään pääseminen... :)

      Delete