Sunday, January 18, 2015

Winds of change and new adventures

Hello hello again my peeps :)


This time I'm writing to you from Koh Lanta, Thailand! Yes, I'm here now :) One thing I have noticed about myself during the years is that I apparently can't stay still for very long. Either I'm tapping my foot on the bus while listening to music or going around the apartment singing to my favourite songs while cleaning or then just to annoy my dear neighbours. Or then I decide to take up on new challenges and adventures and change the location of myself :)




A bit over a year ago I was in the same position in my life and was about to fly off to Santiago de Chile to spend an exchage year over there. While the experience was amazing and I met a ton of amazing people and made life-long friends, I felt like it would be nice to stay in one place for a while and 'settle down' and live my life in Finland without too many changes for a while - go to school and work and enjoy the stable life back at home.




Well.. that lasted for about six months :) I changed school in August, I spotted an ad in our work placement Facebook group for an intern at a diving company here in Thailand. Needless to say, I needed to get the place. Along with my application went my plans for a stable life in Finland, but I felt like this was an opportunity of a lifetime and exactly the kind of work I wanted to do in the future so I couldn't pass on this and would probably forever hate myself for not applying if I didn't. So I applied. And a few days later got an email confirming a date for an interview! You can only imagine how extatic I was!




Once the internship place was confirmed my life's course changed again - in a good way :) I didn't fully comprehend what was actually happening since I had just come back from South America, gone to work and changed schools. But what would life be without a bit of adventure and doing things that you know nothing of and have no idea what to expect? Boring.




So the summer came and went, I was happy at work , went to school and and lived my life in Finland. Time seemed to pass by so fast that I didn't know what hit me when January 14th rolled around the corner and I was supposed ti fly off that evening. I had just spent 3 weeks in the States with my family over there and thought that 2 days in Finland would be plenty of time to experience the lovely finnish winter with its sleet but when those 2 days were over it was again surprisingly hard to leave home and important people behind, even though I knew that I was about to have another amazing experience ahead of me. And I have to be honest with you, because that's what I've promised, and have to admit that even on the plane I had a few tears in my eyes. Not because I didn't want to leave and because I wasn't thankful for this opportunity, but because in those two days at home I got suprisingly comfortable with being home and having my own routines again. It was hard to think about leaving the comfort of my own home behind again when I felt like I had just done that not too long ago, but once we were half-way through with the flight, reality struck and I decided that instead of being upset about all the things I once again left behind in Finland, I would be positive and excited about the things that were waiting for me and all the amazing people I would meet and get into my life from this trip. And it was a good decision because along with the sad thoughts went the nervousness and along came excitedness and hunger for new adventures.




Now it's my fourth day here and I couldn't be happier. I'm still in a state of awe about everything that I have encountered and already experienced and I won't even begin to explain about the weather ;) I can't believe what a difference sun and a blue sky can make in the mental state of a person. Let's just say that I feel like myself again and could not be happier that I took the chance and leap of faith and am sitting here at our office with an amazing team of colleagues :) More about the work and these few days here soon, now it's time to have some Pad Thai for lunch ;)




Hasta pronto, see ya later, take care of yourself and others :)


-M-

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time, this must be such an amazing experience for you! Miss you here though ;)
    Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) yeah it's been amazing so far, couldn't be happier :) missing you too :)
      hugs!

      Delete