Thursday, January 22, 2015

Take those chances and live your ife




 

When applying for an internship either at your home country or abroad there are a few things to keep in mind. Number one for me has always been to keep an open mind for new challenges and opportunities and to push yourself that extra mile and go for it even though the thought of leaving everything familiar behind would seem scary at the time.  I have always felt that you can look at life in two ways: take it as it comes and live a safe, secure life or affecting the way your life plays out by taking chances and stepping out of your comfort zone. In the end it’s the chances you never took that will cause regret, not the things you did that might not have gone exactly as planned.

 

I spent my year 2013-2014 as an exchange student in Santiago, Chile and after an amazing year abroad once again, I thought to myself that now would be a great time to stay put, finish school and continue at my job in Finland. But one day I was fortunately looking through the work placement ads at my school and one in particular stood out: Lazy Seal Diving Company. It has been my dream to pursue a career in the scuba diving industry and when I saw that there would be a possibility to apply for an internship at the Lazy Seal Diving Company, I ditched all my plans of a stable and steady life in Finland and chose to take on this opportunity and send in an application. Another dream came true when I was informed after interviews that I in fact had gotten the spot as an intern and you can only imagine the smile on my face - I looked like I had slept with a hanger in my mouth for months!

 

Life in Finland continued to be the same while temperatures went down and days got shorter. In the back of my mind I didn’t feel down as much as I could’ve because there was that little voice in my head telling me that come January and I’d be happily flying away from the cold and sleet and on my way to sunny Thailand. But reality didn’t strike until January 14th when I was standing at the airport with my bag and scuba gear ready to embark on a new adventure. It was a scary and pleasant feeling at the same time because I had no idea of what to expect and that was both the thrill and nerve wrecking part of this new experience about to happen. But I felt ready, I was ready and while it was hard to leave home again after only being back for 6 months I felt so incredibly grateful that I was chosen for this position that it’s hard to put down as words, and that's why eagerness to see what was going to happen beat the nervousness that had lifted its head.

 

From my previous experiences from living abroad I had learnt that no matter what, you should always take an opportunity that presents itself to you. I have once come back way before I was supposed to because I had attachments back home that felt at the time as the biggest commitment of my life and I have also been guilty of not living in the moment when being abroad because I have always had my mind on things and people back home and I used to keep one eye on the rear-view mirror and did not know how to live in the moment and enjoy what I had while I was experiencing new things. But now as I was saying goodbye to my regular life in Finland again, I made it very clear to myself that I had to look forward, seize the moment and enjoy what I have while I have it. Home will always be there, things might change but the most important things will always be there. My mom has always courage me to do and experience things and when I am about to leave, I always hear her words in the back of my mind: ‘You can always come home, all you need to do is try your best’. These words are at the same time both encouraging and reassuring – not everything is for everyone but we only do have one life and when an opportunity comes along, it is important to take it and live your life with a little bit of adventure and uncertainty, because that’s how you make memories and get content to your life, not by sitting on the couch watching others live their, and your, life.

 

As the first week has rolled by, I still sometimes can’t believe that I am actually here. Waking up to sunlight and warmth with a view of palm trees from your window still feels like a surreal dream, but little by little I am starting to believe that this is really happening. I am so thankful for my previous experiences, because even though they might not have played out like planned, they have thought me so much and now I know how to keep myself focused on today and the opportunities that present themselves to me. Seize the day, seize the moment and enjoy your life as it comes. The future will come and it will play out like it will, so don’t worry, be happy and do the things you want to do. One day it may be too late and as said earlier, it’s not the things you did that you end up regretting but the things that you dreamt of but never did.

 
Yours truly,

-M-

No comments:

Post a Comment